Updated: April 28, 2021
2021 COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
Effective March 29, 2021, California employers must provide employees with supplemental paid sick leave (SPSL) for various COVID-related absences in addition to paid time off benefits employees receive by law or policy, e.g., non-COVID paid sick leave or vacation. The new law applies retroactively to January 1, 2021, and is effective through September 30, 2021. The Chancellor’s Office announced the new Expanded COVID-19 Related Leave (ECRL) program which complies with and enhances the requirements in SPSL. This expanded benefit is effective through December 31, 2021. Here is a summary of key provisions, which are outlined in the linked notice from California’s Department of Industrial Relations .
128 hours* for full time and prorated for less than full time
All employees (except rehired annuitants and in part for work study students)
Reasons for Leave Usage:
- Employee is subject to a quarantine order from the appropriate agency
- Employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19
- The covered employee is attending an appointment to receive a vaccine for protection against contracting COVID-19.
- The covered employee is experiencing symptoms related to a COVID-19 vaccine that prevent the employee from being able to work or telework.
- The covered employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- The covered employee is caring for a family member, as defined, who is subject to a COVID-19 quarantine or isolation period or has been advised by a healthcare provided to quarantine due to COVID-19.
- The covered employee is caring for a child, as defined, whose school or place of care is closed or otherwise unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19 on the premises.
*The number of hours may vary based on bargaining unit.
The form can be downloaded below. For additional information or if you have questions, please contact Ms. Griselda Marquez, Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org .