CSUF Voluntary Summer 9/80 Work Schedule
What is a 9/80 work schedule?
A regular workweek is considered to be Monday through Friday. For a 9/80 work schedule, employees work eight 9-hour days, one 8-hour day (Friday), and have one Friday off in a 2-week period.
Who is eligible for the 9/80 work schedule?
The 9/80 work schedule is for full-time 12-month employees who opt in and are employed at CSUF by May 1, 2023.
Does the day off need to be on Friday?
This summer schedule provides for every other Friday off. This day cannot be changed.
What day does the 8-hour workday fall on?
For payroll purposes, the 8-hour day must be scheduled on the alternate Friday.
Are employees required to participate in the summer 9/80 work schedule?
This voluntary opt-in program that employees may voluntarily request to participate in.
What are the applicable time period and work schedules if an employee voluntarily participates in the summer 9/80 work schedule?
- The 2023 summer 9/80 work schedule will begin on May 29, 2023, and end on August 4, 2023 - (alternate Fridays off).
- Managers will make determinations employee participation in the 9/80 schedule based on operational feasibility.
- All employees in the 9/80 program must work a total of 80 hours in a two-week period.
- Managers will work with employees to identify alternate Fridays off and to establish start and end times for the 9/80 schedule.
Can an employee choose between a 30 minute or hour lunch?
Yes - Employees are able to request from managers either 30 minute or 1 hour lunch. Managers will set daily start times and lunch break with employees during the 9/80 schedule.
Is there any change in how employees report their absences if they participate in the summer 9/80 work schedule?
No, there is no change to the process for how employees report absences in the Absence Management System. Please note that an employee’s leave balance will be charged according to the hours scheduled to work in their 9/80 schedule. For example, if an employee takes an approved vacation day on a Monday, that would be considered as 9 hours of vacation leave time. If an employee takes an approved vacation day on the alternating Friday, that would be considered as 8 hours of vacation leave time.
If a non-exempt employee participates in the summer 9/80 work schedule, how do they record sick or vacation time?
Non-exempt employees would still report the number of hours taken in absence management. If a full day is taken, they would report the hours assigned in the 9/80 schedule (either 9 our day or 8 hour day).
Does this summer 9/80 work schedule replace telecommuting?
- The 9/8 summer schedule is separate from this program and does not affect existing telecommute agreements.
- Telecommute and 9/80 schedules can be used simultaneously.
- If you have any questions related to telecommuting, please contact your manager.
- Telecommute can remain in effect while on the summer 9/80 schedule.
Can an employee cancel their participation in the voluntary summer 9/80 work schedule?
- If an employee does not want to continue their voluntary participation in the summer 9/80 work schedule, they will need to contact their manager and payroll services firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Depending on the timing of the request and related impacts, there may be a delay for the employee to return back to their normal work schedule.
Once my 9/80 form is submitted to payroll can I change the Friday I that was originally selected as off?
Unfortunately, no. Once the Friday option is selected it is updated in Absence Management for the summer program and cannot be changed.
Does my leave accrual rate change during the 9/80 program?
No your leave accrual does not change.