Workers' Compensation





California (WC) laws require California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) to provide Workers' Compensation Benefits to employees who are injured or who develop an illness as a direct result of their employment. The University is required to report work related injuries or illnesses. Serious injuries must be reported to CAL/OSHA within eight (8) hours from the time of the incident.



In the event of a medical emergency, call 911 from any phone to contact University Police. Tell the dispatcher where you are and answer any other questions they may have. The campus police dispatcher will send the appropriate personnel.


Examples of a medical emergency are: excessive bleeding, broken bones, loss of consciousness, or severe chest pains. When in doubt about the severity of a medical emergency, always dial 911 from any phone to contact the police.


Employees in these situations often minimize the extent of their injury or try to refuse treatment. Be firm in requiring a medical evaluation. Do not allow employees in these situations to leave campus until University Police have responded. Please wait to complete any injury/illness reporting forms until after the emergency has been resolved.


Students health care is covered by the Student Health Center with the following exceptions: student workers or students working on a work study program. Student interns should report the injury/illness, and seek medical treatment. Student intern injuries/illnesses are managed pursuant to the work agreements and can take time to review. Therefore, these students should immediately report the injury/illness to their instructor and seek medical treatment.



Seeking/driving non-medical treatment


If an injury or illness requires only "First Aid" treatment, such as removing a splinter or the treatment of minor cuts and abrasions, utilize the First Aid kit located in the department. The University's Student Health Center does NOT provide First Aid or medical treatment to faculty, staff or student employees who sustain a work-related injury/illness.


If an injury or illness requires medical treatment beyond First Aid, and the employee is unable to drive, or unable to arrange timely transportation, please contact a WC staff member to arrange transportation to one of these locations. An employee who needs medical attention may not be transported by another University employee, supervisor or manager to the medical facility.


Fullerton - BreaPDF File Opens in new window Irvine - SaddlebackPDF File Opens in new window   


Reporting an Injury


Employee / Volunteer / Student Worker



Employees may be entitled to Workers’ Compensation (WC) benefits if they sustain a work-related injury/illness, or they become a victim of a workplace crime. WC covers many injuries however, the decision is determined by our third-party administrator, Sedgwick CMS. If an employee is injured/ill, they must notify their supervisor or manager immediately.


  • Employee/Volunteer Injury/Illness Report 

    For all injuries/illnesses, employees/volunteers/student workers must complete an Employee/Volunteer Injury/Illness formPDF File Opens in new window .   Complete and sign the "Employee" portion, then the manager or supervisor completes and signs the “Supervisor” portion.

  • Employees Claim for Workers' Compensation Benefits

    If an injury or illness requires more than First Aid treatment, the manager or supervisor should provide the employee employees/volunteers/student workers with an Employee's Claim for Workers' Compensation Benefits formPDF File Opens in new window . Complete and sign the "Employee" portion of this form and return the form to the WC office. The WC office will complete the “Employer” portion of this form.

  • Seek medical treatment if needed

    Prior to going for treatment or evaluation, the employee will need a Medical Service Order form. Different forms are available: for the main campus (Fullerton) employees must go to Brea Urgent CarePDF File Opens in new window and for the Irvine Center employees must go to Saddleback Family and Urgent CarePDF File Opens in new window . The employee must bring the form, signed by a supervisor/manager or WC staff member to let the medical facility know that they have authorization to be seen for a work related injury/illness.




If an injury/illness requires medical treatment beyond First Aid, the manager/supervisor should immediately provide the injured employee with the following forms:



State law requires that employers provide the injured employee with an Employee's Claim for Workers' Compensation BenefitsPDF File Opens in new window form within one (1) working day of the notice of knowledge of the work-related injury/illness. However, the form only needs to be completed if the employee needs medical treatment beyond first aid. This form is available at the above link or it can be requested from the Total Wellness department located in College Park 700, by calling (657) 278-5187.

Immediately submit the employee's completed and signed forms to the Total Wellness office (CP-700):

  1. Employee/Volunteer Injury/Illness Report

  2. Employee's Claim Form


 Returning to work after an injury / illness

Released to work with no restrictions

 If the employee is released to return to work without restrictions, the employee must obtain from the treating physician, a written release to return to full duty and give the release to his/her manager or supervisor upon returning to work. The manager or supervisor should fax the copy to (657) 278-5973 or email to DL-Total Wellness.


Released to modified or light duty

 If the physician releases the employee to "modified" or "light" duty work, the employee's supervisor and the WC staff member will review the work restrictions and determine if the department is able to accommodate the temporary modified or light duty work, to assist the employee in transitioning back to their full job duties.

If a temporary transitional assignment is feasible, the employee's supervisor will meet with the employee to review the transitional assignment and the work restrictions prescribed by the physician. The temporary assignment will be reviewed at regular intervals to ensure that the employee is continuing to improve. Changes will be made as appropriate.

If a temporary transitional assignment is not available, the WC staff member will contact the employee to discuss the available options. The employee's supervisor should not allow the employee to return to work without a written release from the treating physician.