Types of Employment


Types of Employment



Multiple employment opportunities are available for CSUF students all over campus. All student employment positions are at-will positions.


Student Assistants:

This on-campus work program offers students the chance to explore and develop career related skills and gain professional experience. Anyone who is currently registered as a student at CSUF and is in good academic standing may be eligible to work as a Student Assistant.


Federal Work Study:

Federal Work-StudyOpens in new window is a federally funded financial aid program. It increases available part-time employment for students who need financial assistance while giving them the opportunity to gain practical work experience. Those who wish to work in the work-study program must be approved by the Financial AidOpens in new window  Office prior to being hired. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


Instructional Student Assistants / Graduate Assistants / Teaching Associates:

Students who are hired as Instructional Student Assistants (ISA), Graduate Assistants (GA), or Teaching Associates (TA) assist a professor with his/her class load through miscellaneous tasks such as conducting research, teaching, facilitating group discussions, grading papers, or tutoring. For more information, go to Unit 11 Appointments. 


International Students:

It is possible for international students who are visiting on an F-1 or J-1 visa to work on-campus. International students can work no more than 20 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week during the winter/spring break and summer. To apply for an on-campus job international students should go through the regular hiring process. Once the student gets hired if he/she does not have a Social Security CardOpens in new window , he/she will need to obtain one prior to starting work. There are other rules and restrictions that may apply to international students working on campus. Please refer to the International Student Services website for more information.  




Helpful Links: