Utility Failure

  • In the event of a major building utility failure occurring during regular working hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday), immediately notify the Facilities Management Service Center x3494.  After hours, call University Police at X2515 or if it's an emergency, call 911 on any campus phone or cell phone.
  • If there is potential danger to the building occupants, or if the utility failure occurs after hours, weekends and holidays notify University Police.
  • If necessary or if directed to do so by University Police, activate the building alarm system and take the following steps.
    1. Evacuate the building by quickly walking to the nearest exit and direct others to do the same. If operational, leave all elevators for use by the disabled and assist them as much as possible.
    2. Building Marshals will assist in evacuation of all building occupants.
    3. Once outside, move to a clear area at least 150 feet away from the affected building. Keep all surrounding walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
    4. To the best of your ability, and without re-entering the building, assist University Police in their attempt to determine that everyone has evacuated safely.
  • A University Police Emergency Command Post may be set up near the emergency vehicles. Keep clear of the command post unless you have important information to report.
  • Do not return to the building until University Police tell you do so even if the alarm has ceased.

Electrical/Light Failure: All major campus buildings are equipped with an emergency lighting system that will provide minimal lighting in main corridors and stairways for safe exiting. Emergency lighting will not be sufficient to continue working.  It's advisable that your departments have flashlights available to aid in evacuation.

Elevator Failure: All campus elevators are equipped with emergency phones connected directly to University Police; however, if you discover trapped occupants in an elevator, phone University Police immediately.

Plumbing Failure/Flooding: Stop using all electrical equipment, notify your supervisor and vacate the area. Call the Service Center at Ext. 3494.

Ventilation: If smell smoke or a burning odor coming from the ventilation system, report it to University Police and Service Center at Ext. 3494.

revised 9/26/11 tw