Using Personal Vehicles on University Business

In addition to meeting the requirements to drive on University business, University employees using their personal vehicles to conduct or perform University business must: 

  1. Complete an "Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business" form (STD 261)PDF File Opens in new window . Original form is retained within the department. 
  2. Certify on the STD 261 that the vehicle being driven is (1) covered by at least $15,000 in liability coverage for personal injury/death to one person, $30,000 in coverage for personal injury/death to two or more persons, and $5,000 in property damage; (2) adequate for the proposed use; (3) equipped with working seat belts; and (4) in a safe mechanical condition; and
  3. Carry evidence of current automobile liability insurance in their vehicle.

An employee's personal automobile liability insurance is the primary coverage if an accident occurs when the employee is driving his/her vehicle on University business. This insurance may also be primary if an employee rents a vehicle. While the normal practice of insurance carriers is to allow occasional use of personal vehicles for business purposes, University employees should confirm this with their carrier.

The University's automobile liability coverage does not provide for damage to personal vehicles used on University business. However, a University employee may seek relief for out-of-pocket expenses such as deductibles from the State's Victims Compensation and Government Claims Board.