Disability and Insurance
California State University, Fullerton provides a variety of disability and life insurance program options. Explore the tabs below for more information.
Non Industrial Disability
This insurance plan is administered by California EDD and covers eligible employees who are unable to work because of a non-work-related disability (including maternity) for up to 26 weeks.
To learn more about this benefit visit the CSYOU Benefits (Leaves) ( website.
Industrial Disability Leave
The Industrial Disability Leave (IDL) Program is a salary continuation program, in lieu of workers' compensation temporary disability (TD) benefits, for employees who have suffered a work-related injury or illness.
- The IDL benefit is equivalent to the full amount of the injured employee's salary for the first 22 days of the work-related injury or illness (a three day waiting period may apply).
- Thereafter, IDL benefits will be equivalent to two-thirds of the employee's salary, payable for the next 11 months of disability.
- An eligible employee may receive IDL payments for a period not to exceed 52 weeks within two years from the first day of disability.
To learn more about this benefit visit the CSYOU Benefits (Industrial Disability Leave) website.
Disability for Public Safety
The Enhanced Industrial Disability Leave (EIDL) Program is a wage continuation program in lieu of Workers' Compensation Temporary Disability (TD) benefits for eligible Public Safety (Unit 8) employees who have suffered a work related injury or illness.
To learn more about this benefit please reference the Collective Bargaining Agreement (SUPA-Article 17 ).
Long Term Disability
Long Term Disability Insurance (Employer Paid)
The CSU provides employer-paid long term disability insurance (LTD) to eligible employees within specified employee categories. The Standard Life Insurance Company (The Standard) is the insurance carrier for this benefit. LTD is an income protection program that provides benefits after 180 days of continuous disability. LTD is provided to supplement industrial disability leave, Social Security disability, retirement system payments, or any other group disability plan payments. If disability criteria are met, eligible employees will receive a percentage of pay up to a designated maximum amount per month, until age 65. The level of coverage varies by employee category and is outlined in the chart below.
|Employee Category||Amount of Coverage|
|Management (M80)||66 2/3 of the first $27,000 of pre-disability earnings, reduced by deductible income. Maximum monthly benefit: $18,000 before reduction of deductible income.|
|Faculty (R03) Academic Support (R04) Physicians (R01) Confidential (C99)||66 2/3 of the first $15,000 of pre-disability earnings, reduced by deductible income. Maximum benefit: $10,000 before reduction of deductible income. Waiting period 180 days.|
|Executive (M98)||66 2/3 of the first $37,500 of pre-disability earnings, reduced by deductible income. Maximum monthly benefit: $25,000 before reduction of deductible income.|
Voluntary Long Term Disability Insurance
The CSU provides employees the opportunity to purchase Voluntary Long Term Disability Insurance that is offered by The Standard. This plan provides loss of income protection (up to 60%) due to a qualified disability.
- All benefits eligible employees who are not eligible for the CSU-paid LTD plan may apply.
- Two plans are offered, one with a 30-day and one with a 90-day waiting period.
- For more information about the plans go to The Standard website or call The Standard customer service at 1-800-378-5745. To apply, make changes, or review benefits log in at: https://standard.benselect.com/csu .
Group Life Insurance and AD&D
The CSU offers employer-paid basic term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance to eligible employees.
- Faculty (Unit 3) and Confidential: $50,000 basic term life/$50,000 AD&D policy
- Management Personnel Plan (MPP): $100,000 basic term life/$100,000 AD&D policy
- Executive: $250,000 basic term life/$250,000 AD&D policy
- CSUEU (Units 2, 5, 7 and 9) and Public Safety (Unit 8): $10,000 basic life/$10,000 AD&D policy
- Academic Professionals (Unit 4) and Physicians (Unit 1): $25,000 basic term life/$25,000 AD&D policy
- Teaching Associates (Unit 11): $50,000 basic term life policy
The insurance is underwritten by Standard Insurance Company.
Employees have the option to enroll in several types of voluntary insurance and benefit plans which include:
- Life Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Critical Illness Plan
- Pre-Paid Legal
- CalPERS Long Term Care
- Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Additional information about each plan can be reviewed on CSYOU - Benefits (Voluntary Insurance and Benefit Programs) website.