H-1B Professionals in Specialty Occupations

H-1B status is available to citizens of all countries.  The H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa allowing United States employers to temporarily employ non-United States citizens (workers) in specialty occupations.  A specialty occupation is an occupation that requires the “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge; and the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in a specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.”  The H-1B is the appropriate visa status for nonimmigrant tenure-track and full-time lecturer faculty at CSUF.  Following the University’s decision to request H-1B work status to appoint a tenure-track or full-time lecturer faculty member, Risk Management will work directly with you to acquire the H-1B (H-1B’s will not be supported for part-time faculty or staff).  Normally the H-1B is valid for a three (3) year period with possible extensions for up to a maximum of six (6) years.  The six (6) year maximum includes all previous employment under this classification.  The number of years you worked in the H-1B classification through a previous employer is deducted from the six (6) year availability.

The H-1B visa status allows for dual intent, specifically making it permissible for H-1B visa holders to remain indefinitely in the United States and file for an immigrant visa, also known as Legal Permanent Residence or the “green card.”