Pregnancy Disability Leave
If an employee is disabled by pregnancy, childbirth or a related medical condition, they are entitled, under California Government Code Section 12945 (b) (2), to take pregnancy disability leave. Please see the following provisions:
- Up to four months (88 work days for a full-time employee) disability leave.
- If more than four months of leave is provided for other types of temporary disabilities, the same leave must be made available to an employee who is disabled due to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition.
- Only when actually disabled (includes time off needed for prenatal care, severe morning sickness, doctor-ordered bed rest, childbirth, recovery from childbirth, and related medical conditions as certified by a doctor).
- This leave is without pay, but the employee may use vacation, personal holiday, CTO or sick leave.
- Runs consecutively (not concurrently) with Family Medical Leave (FML).
If you are a faculty member and you need to take a Pregnancy Disability Leave:
- Contact Griselda G. Marquez in Academic Human Resources at 657-278-5187 to discuss your options.
If you are a staff member or manager and you need to take a Pregnancy Disability Leave:
- Contact Angelica Perez in Benefits at 657-278-5311 to discuss your options.