The Department of Theatre and Dance in the College of the Arts at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor tenure-track faculty position in Lighting Design with appointment starting in Fall 2018. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse University community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department of Theatre & Dance serves approximately 600 Majors, with 27 Full-time and 28 Part-time Faculty and 14 Full-time Professional Staff in all requisite areas of design and production, and offers BFA Degrees in Acting and Musical Theatre, BA Degrees in Applied Studies, Playwriting, Directing, Dance and Design & Production, and MFA Degrees in Directing, and Design and Production.
The yearly season consists of up to 10 main stage and 8 second stage productions (performed, designed and staffed by students) including plays, musicals, dance and opera, produced in 5 spaces, utilizing a variety of faculty directors, graduate student directors and guest directors.
Cal State Fullerton Department of Theatre and Dance is fully accredited by NAST (National Association of Schools of Theater), NASD (National Association of Schools of Dance) and is a member of URTA (University Resident Theater Association) and USITT (United States Institute for Theatre Technology). For more information about the department, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/theatredance/
The qualified candidate could teach a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses (up to 3 per semester) in Stage Lighting and Projection Design: Fundamentals of Stage Lighting, Advanced Lighting Design, Automated Lighting, Projection Design, Advanced Topics in Theatre Design and Technology, Graduate Seminar in Lighting Design. The candidate shall work closely with the Staff Master Electrician and full-time faculty in Lighting Design, supervising student designers from conception through realization, mentoring individual student design projects in lighting and projection, maintain currency with emerging developments in lighting and projection technologies. The successful candidate could design lighting or projections for selected Department productions.
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require the successful candidate to have excellent teaching skills coupled with the ability to serve on both Department and University committees. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute and collaborate regarding Department curriculum, policy and practice, as well as pursue scholarly/creative and service activities outside of the academy.
- Master of Fine Arts degree by the time of appointment, or significant professional experience.
- Minimum 3 years college or university level teaching experience.
- Experience creating and managing all aspects of stage lighting for a multiple spaces and genres from small to large-scale productions.
- Significant professional experience in theatrical lighting design.
- Experience teaching computer skills as related to best current practices in professional theatre. This includes but is not limited to use of VectorWorks Spotlight, 2D and 3D rendering techniques as well as visualization programs such as Vision and WYSIWYG.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of culturally diverse students, faculty, and staff and ability to collaborate as a member of a team.
- United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829 affiliation is desirable but not essential.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive full consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9951BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
Applicants will submit
- Cover letter (relating your experience to the required and preferred qualifications) addressed to Lighting Design Search Committee
- Current Curriculum vita/professional resume
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- List of three professional references: name, best telephone contact number, email address
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Diversity Statement
Successful Candidates contacted by the Search Committee will be required to submit:
- Three letters of recommendations (see instructions below)
- Digital Portfolio of Creative/Scholarly Research
- Examples of specific course materials, syllabi, handouts, PowerPoint/Keynote presentations
On the References Page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts @ email@example.com or call 657-278-3256.
Review of applications will begin immediately. All applications received by January 31, 2018, are assured full consideration. Position will remain open until filled. Multiple positions maybe hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.