Sculpture / 3-D Design
The Department of Visual Arts in the College of the Arts at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor tenure-track faculty position in Sculpture as part of the Three-Dimensional Media areas with appointment starting in Fall 2018. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse University community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The candidate for this position must be qualified to teach all levels in BA, BFA, MA and MFA courses in Sculpture / 3-D Design including traditions such as wood/metal/plastic fabrication, mold making, metal casting, welding, kinetics, and digital processes. Candidates must have a keen interest in teaching sculpture including an understanding of interdisciplinary approaches to sculpture and be engaged with critical issues related to the discipline. The candidate will guide and develop the sculpture degree program, teach 3-courses each semester, and participate in advising and mentoring students. Faculty members are responsible for creative activity and/or scholarly research recognized by peer review, professional activity (currency in the field), and service to the department, college, university, and community.
- MFA degree in Sculpture or closely related field.
- Evidence of contemporary artistic practice and demonstrated record of creative achievement with a substantive national or international exhibition record.
- Evidence of effective teaching with pedagogy informed by a broad knowledge of sculpture’s traditions and proficiency with a variety of sculpture materials and methods.
- Demonstrated skills of sculpture traditions such as wood/metal/plastic fabrication, mold making, metal casting, welding, kinetics and digital processes; and a proven ability to teach all levels of technical and conceptual approaches to studio practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and actively developing programs and curricula to maintain the Sculpture program’s presence at a national level.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice with the safe operation and maintenance of a fully equipped Sculpture facility and foundry.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of culturally diverse students, faculty, and staff and ability to collaborate as a member of a team.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
The CSUF Art Department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and is located about 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles in metropolitan Orange County. The Art Department counts approximately 1,500 undergraduate art majors, 60 graduate students, 31 full-time faculty, and 60 part-time instructors. A full range of fine arts and professional programs is offered and a nationally recognized art gallery is located in the Visual Arts complex. Grand Central Art Center, a 45,000 sq. ft. graduate studio, residence, and exhibition facility is located 15 minutes from the main campus. For more information about the Art Department and the College of the Arts, please refer to the website: http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/art.
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9950BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter relating your experience to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
- Teaching philosophy with a diversity statement addressing your experience, ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students and colleagues. (2-page limit)
- Digital portfolio of 20 images of current (from the past 5-years) creative/scholarly work. The portfolio must showcase applicant’s artistic accomplishments.
- Digital portfolio of 20 examples of student work that reflects breadth of sculptural media and demonstrate the candidate’s ability to teach all levels of technical and conceptual approaches to studio practices. Examples should notate: student’s level; how work related to course assignments; and any other information needed to place the work in context.
- Sample syllabi or assignments to support students’ work.
The finalists for this position will be contacted by the Search Committee to submit:
- Three current and signed professional letters of recommendations to be uploaded by the recommenders thru the on-line recruitment system (see instructions below)
- Official academic transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- Additional material may be required of applicants
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application, which could be different from your list of three professional references. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts @ firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Sculpture Search,” or call 657-278-3256.
Review of applications will begin immediately. All application received by January 19, 2018 are assured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.