The Department of Religious Studies at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Religious Studies with appointment to begin Fall 2018. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
We are seeking applicants who are trained in the Social Scientific Study of Religion with a focus on South Asian Religious Traditions and Religion in South Asia Today. The ideal candidate is a scholar of religion who specializes in the social scientific approaches, broadly construed, and can demonstrate broad teaching expertise in Asian religious traditions.
Responsibilities include online teaching as part of a normal teaching load. The successful candidate will also be expected to develop new courses as well as teach some established upper division lecture and discussion courses related to their expertise and interests.
Our new colleague should also be able to teach the following introductory level courses:
- RLST 100: Introduction to the Study of Religion (Social Scientific Approaches)
- RLST 270: Introduction to Asian Religions (online course covering at least two traditions)
- RLST 280: Introduction to Buddhism (online)
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching as well as research, peer-reviewed publication, and participation in the broader disciplinary community. Faculty members are expected to contribute to and serve the department, college, and university community. Departmental responsibilities and service may include any of the following: advising students, serving on committees, planning events, or advising the student group.
- Ph.D. in Religious Studies with training in Social Scientific methods. ABD’s may apply, but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by August 2018.
- Research specialization and knowledge of South Asian Religious Traditions and/or Religion/s in South Asia Today.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Evidence of scholarly accomplishment and a clear agenda for future scholarly pursuits.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Evidence of teaching excellence or pedagogical potential.
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues and community.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9942BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application addressing the listed required qualifications as they apply to you
- Curriculum Vitae
- Graduate transcripts
- Research agenda in which you describe your research program moving forward.
- Writing sample of a publication or professional academic presentation (peer-reviewed preferred).
- A syllabus of a religious studies course you have taught or designed that is relevant to this position.
- Teaching evaluations by both peers and students along with evaluative data (if available).
- A student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- Three letters of recommendation (see instructions below).
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. Jeanette Reedy Solano at email@example.com or call 657-278-7554.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by December 1, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.