Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at California State University Fullerton, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level with appointment to begin August 2018. We are searching for outstanding candidates in Civil Engineering, particularly in the area of Structural Engineering. Candidates with multi-disciplinary teaching and research interests and those with a passion for undergraduate engineering education are strongly encouraged to apply.
California State University, Fullerton is located in Orange County, 25 miles south of Downtown Los Angeles and 20 miles east of the Pacific Ocean. The university is located in an urban area with a diverse population with many cultural attractions. The department offers an ABET-accredited B.S. in Civil Engineering, an M.S. in Civil Engineering, and an online M.S. in Environmental Engineering. It serves nearly 1000 students and currently has 15 full-time faculty members. California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community. For more information about the department, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/cee
The successful candidate must demonstrate interest and ability to teach courses in Civil Engineering. Teaching responsibilities will include lower-division general civil engineering courses as well as upper-division and graduate level courses. Faculty members are expected to contribute to the diversity and currency of the curriculum by updating existing courses, proposing new courses, and teaching a variety of courses. The successful candidate is expected to conduct research involving undergraduate and Master’s students, resulting in high quality peer-reviewed publications. Multidisciplinary research collaborations within the department, college, and university are particularly encouraged. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching, strong scholarly and creative activities, and substantial service to the department, college, university, and professional community.
- Doctorate in Civil Engineering or closely related; ABD’s may apply but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field
- Professional registration as a Civil Engineer or ability and willingness to get license within two years of appointment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Passion and ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Civil Engineering including laboratory courses
- Focused research agenda with external funding potential; publications in refereed venues within the last three years
- Ability and willingness to promote undergraduate and graduate student success through research, mentorship, advising, and other high impact practices
- Ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students and colleagues
- University-level teaching experience in Civil Engineering
- Industry experience in Civil Engineering
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continuation of employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent and comprehensive benefits package is available and includes health, vision, and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee waivers; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement plan provided through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a summary description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted to receive consideration. To apply, go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9936BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application
- Current curriculum vita
- Statement of teaching philosophy and interests (2 page maximum)
- Statement about your experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (one page, single-spaced)
- Undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts (unofficial copies accepted until appointment)
- Statement of research philosophy and plan (2 page maximum)
- Names and contact information for three references
The finalists for the position will be contacted and are required to submit original transcripts and three current confidential letters of recommendation (see instruction below).
On the Reference page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three references that will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSU, Fullerton by logging back in to the recruitment system. However, letters of recommendation are not required for the initial review.
Please direct all questions about the position to: David Naish, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com
Review of applications begins immediately. To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 15, 2017. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.