Latinx Community Health Nursing
The School of Nursing (SON) at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor faculty position beginning in Fall 2018. We seek an individual who has expertise in working with the Latinx population in the community and whose strengths best complement the distinctive character of our program. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community through past experiences in teaching, research, and service.
The SON consists of 10 degree options in undergraduate and graduate programs, with a Doctor of Nursing Practice program. All existing programs are CCNE-accredited, and are recognized as being innovative, community-based, and student friendly. The undergraduate program includes a BSN completion program for registered nurses and a traditional BSN program which includes an accelerated pathway as well as freshman entry. The master's program has specialties in nurse anesthesia, women's health care (nurse practitioner and midwifery), and nursing leadership, school nursing, and nursing education. Our DNP program is a consortium with CSUF, CSULB, and CSULA. The SON is committed to providing an engaging learning environment for its diverse student body. For detailed information about our programs visit our website http://nursing.fullerton.edu/
The successful candidate will be working in a premiere nursing learning community in Southern California that enrolls a culturally diverse student body and has a nationally recognized faculty. The primary responsibility will be teaching core curriculum courses, including community and population health with an emphasis on Latinx health in the undergraduate and/or graduate programs; details of the position are described below. This faculty member should maintain a firm commitment to valuing multicultural perspectives, in addition to demonstrating a professional track record that reflects that commitment. The faculty member would join an experienced and cohesive faculty that highly values innovation, collegiality and collaboration. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching and scholarship, peer-reviewed publications, and participation in the university and profession.
- Cultivate work and learning environments that encourage and support diversity
- Participate in curriculum implementation and evaluation and instruct courses in assigned areas of expertise
- Assist students with communication and psychomotor skills, related clinical application of selected content areas, as well as theses/projects and/or doctoral projects, examinations, and other culminating experiences
- Participate in student advisement
- Participate in online education
- Provide leadership in coordinating classes and clinical rotations; serve as a liaison to relevant community organizations
- Conduct on-going research/scholarly activity in area of expertise and disseminate findings
- Participate in professional and community activities
- Participate in academic activities at School, College, and University level
- Completed doctoral degree from an accredited institution, with either a Masters degree or Doctorate in nursing or BSN to doctorate from an accredited institution by the start of appointment
- Must hold or be eligible for licensure by the California Board of Registered Nurses
- Evidence of scholarly activity with Latinx populations
- Ability to teach community and population health with emphasis on health disparities in the Latinx community at baccalaureate and graduate levels.
- Expertise in in working within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching with outstanding scholarship and professional service.
- An interest in preparing students to work effectively with clients from diverse backgrounds
- Teaching and curriculum development experience
- Experience in using distance education methodologies, particularly web-based work. Potential for extramural fund-raising
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Salary and rank are commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Moving expenses, start-up funds, and additional teaching in summer may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver, access to campus child care, and defined retirement benefits along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9909BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application describing qualifications to teach in specific area of interest/specialization and a teaching philosophy statement
- current vitae
- copies of student evaluations with interpretive information from all courses taught over past two years
- Master’s and Doctoral work transcript(s)
- documentation of scholarly agenda
- three letters of reference (see instruction below)
- diversity statement - this statement should provide an understanding of your capabilities to address diversity in support of CSUF’s diverse student and community populations. Please discuss how you have addressed diversity in your teaching, research, and/or service such that the committee is able to assess your ability to contribute to our campus in this area (approximately one page, single-spaced).
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Lolita Hartono, Office Manager, SON at email@example.com or call (657) 278-7461.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by December 6, 2017.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.