The Department of Women and Gender Studies at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Queer Studies with appointment to begin Fall 2018. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
Women & Gender Studies at CSUF is seeking a Queer Studies scholar with a background in Cultural Studies. Our new colleague will be a scholar/teacher who combines Queer History with an emphasis in local queer history and culture in the Southern California region. Our new colleague must be able to teach WGST 100, Introduction to Gender in the Humanities as well as the main classes for the Queer Studies minor, including WGST 360: Politics of Sexuality, WGST 105: Introduction to Queer Studies, WGST 420: Queer Theory, and WGST 350: Research Methods, as well as other General Education and Upper Division classes in the Women & Gender Studies major and minor.
Main responsibilities of this position are to develop and teach introductory and core Queer Studies and Women and Gender Studies courses. Department faculty members are also expected to develop courses in their areas of specialization. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on academic committees, and participate in the broader disciplinary community.
- Ph.D. in Cultural Studies with an emphasis in Queer Local History or a related field. ABD’s may apply, but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date.
- A background and research specialization in Women and Gender Studies.
- A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community.
- Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching of a very diverse, often first-generation, student population.
- Experience teaching Queer Studies and Women and Gender Studies courses.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9828BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- a student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Renae Bredin at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657-278-3888.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by September 15, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.