The Department of English, Comparative Literature and Linguistics at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor of Linguistics with appointment to begin in the Fall of 2018. CSUF is dedicated to the goal of continuing to build a diverse community of scholars and learners, and strongly encourages applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
Tenure-track position in linguistics with a specialization in historical linguistics. Desirable secondary specializations include morphology, Native American languages, and the ability to teach and work in different linguistic traditions, particularly formal linguistics and language typology. Responsibilities include teaching a wide range of courses in all areas of linguistics, both at the upper-division and graduate (M.A.) levels, as well as lower-division, introductory, and general education courses. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching; peer-reviewed publications; research and other relevant scholarly activities; student advising; and service to the department, college, and university.
- Ph.D. in Linguistics or a related field with training and experience in English is required by August 2018. ABD’s must show evidence of degree completion prior to appointment.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Evidence of successful, high-quality teaching.
- Active research program with demonstrated evidence of, or clear potential for, high-quality peer-reviewed publication.
- Potential for collegial participation in departmental, campus, and disciplinary communities.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9757BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- research statement, in which you describe your research program
- reprints and preprints of publications and presentations, if applicable
- teaching portfolio, which includes a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- a brief statement about your experiences in teaching or working with a diverse student population
- three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. Stephen Mexal, Chair of the
Department of English, Comparative Literature, and Linguistics at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657-278-3163.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by October 1, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.