The Department of Communications at California State University, Fullerton is seeking a full-time lecturer with expertise in Spanish-language media to teach and mentor students in one of the largest communications programs in the United States, and in one of the nation’s most vibrant media markets. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The successful candidate will have the capacity to be an excellent classroom teacher, an enthusiastic student mentor and coach, an inspiring ambassador for the Department to the University and professional community, and a pivotal collaborator with the College of Communications’ Latino Communications Initiative.
Responsibilities include teaching a variety of communications skills classes. The candidate may specialize in one or more curricular concentrations – journalism, public relations, advertising or entertainment and tourism.
The Department of Communications is one of the largest and most diverse mass communications programs in the United States, situated in the second largest media market in the country. More than 2,200 students are enrolled in four concentrations with 75+ full- and part-time faculty members. The Department operates international programs, a graduate program, numerous laboratory facilities, an internship center, award-winning student media, a student advertising and public relations agency, a week-long signature university event called COMM Week, and many student organizations, clubs and competitions. The College of Communications partnership with Univision recently resulted in the creation of an on-campus Univision news bureau.
- A master’s degree in a relevant communications discipline or equivalent significant professional experience.
- Strong verbal communication skills, spoken and written, in Spanish and English.
- Significant professional experience in the media industry.
- Ability to successfully teach a wide range of existing Communications courses.
- Ability to teach courses for students interested in Spanish-language communications.
- Ability to interact effectively orally and in writing with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- Expertise in digital production skills.
- A strong network of bilingual media industry professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to be a collaborative and collegial team member.
- Demonstrated ability to be a meaningful mentor and coach to students.
- Ability to take on leadership responsibilities related to the Latino Communications Initiative.
- Experience working in a university environment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank & Salary
This is a full-time Lecturer position, non-tenure-track. Appointment is for one year and may be renewed for additional years, based on satisfactory performance and funds availability. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer is often available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available. It includes health/vision/dental plans, spouse, domestic partner, access to campus childcare, defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9713BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application
- resume or curriculum vita
- a one-page statement discussing your capabilities to address diversity in support of CSUF’s diverse student body and community populations, including examples from your teaching, service or professional experience
- Professional or academic writing samples in Spanish and English
- three letters of reference (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-3353 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by September 25, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.