The Department of Communications at California State University-Fullerton is seeking an Assistant or Associate Professor tenure-track practitioner-teacher-scholar in public relations. The successful candidate must teach, engage in research and service, participate in assessment of student learning, and provide academic advisement to students in a nationally recognized ACEJMC and CEPR accredited program. The teaching assignment may include courses conducted online, in the evenings, and at the Irvine campus.
California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department of Communications is one of the largest and most diverse mass communications programs in the United States, situated in the second largest media market in the country. More than 2,200 students are enrolled in four concentrations (advertising, entertainment/tourism, journalism, and public relations) with 75+ full- and part-time faculty members. The Department operates international programs, a graduate program, numerous laboratory facilities, an internship center, award-winning student media, a student advertising and public relations agency, a week-long signature university event called COMM Week, a large and active PRSSA chapter and many other student organizations, clubs and competitions. For more information about the department, please visit: http://communications.fullerton.edu/
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in communications or a relevant discipline by time of appointment.
- Professional experience in public relations or a closely related field with at least two years of experience in an agency, corporate, in-house, non-profit, consulting or similar capacity.
- Ability to successfully teach a wide range of courses including public relations writing and campaigns courses.
- Ability to contribute in the areas of accreditation self-study, assessment of student learning, and curriculum development.
- Ability to interact effectively orally and in writing with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Evidence of successful teaching in public relations.
- A well-articulated research and/or creative agenda in public relations.
- Membership and involvement in PRSA, perhaps with APR accreditation.
- Contacts with industry leaders and ability to expand university-industry partnerships.
- Background and experience with social media and/or Latino-focused communications media and campaigns.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure-track position, at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, depending on the candidate's qualifications. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer and intersession, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans, spousal and/or dependent fee-waiver, access to campus child-care, defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9696BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application
- resume or curriculum vita
- a student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-3353 or e-mail email@example.com
Review of applications will begin on September 25, 2017, and continue until the positions are filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.