The Pollak Library at California State University Fullerton, a nationally recognized Hispanic serving institution (HSI), invites applications for a tenure track Education Librarian, who is energetic, innovative, technologically adept, and service oriented, with a background or experience in Education to join our dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants.
“The Pollak Library aims to become a model library, nationally recognized for innovative spaces, collections, services, tools, and programs that enable the academic success of our students; promote information literacy skills; fulfill the needs of our academic programs and scholarly activities; facilitate and encourage the systematic and serendipitous acquisition of knowledge; invite collaboration; and help interconnect its vibrant and diverse community of learners and scholars.” (Vision Statement, October 7, 2015)
We serve a total of more than 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. Our website (http://www.library.fullerton.edu) is a vital component of the Library’s extensive instruction program and serves as a gateway to resources: including 1.3 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 50,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 200 electronic databases. The staff includes 23 FTE librarians, 35 FTE paraprofessionals, and 80 student assistants.
The College of Education
The College of Education is committed to the preparation and professional development of innovative and transformative educators who advance just, equitable, and inclusive education. As a professional community of scholar-practitioners, the College of Education promotes creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking as fundamental to student achievement and success in a diverse and interconnected world.
The College of Education has departments and programs in the following subject areas: educational leadership, elementary & bilingual education, instructional design & technology, literacy & reading education, secondary education, and special education. It offers an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership, numerous Masters of Science, Certificate, and Credential programs. The College annually enrolls over 1,000 credential candidates and graduate students in both in-person and online programs. Website: http://ed.fullerton.edu
The Education Librarian serves as the subject specialist and liaison to the College of Education’s dynamic and diverse group of students and faculty, providing instruction, reference, and outreach. A strong understanding of the teaching profession and/or education curriculum (credential process, pedagogical methods, etc.) is expected. The successful candidate will teach specialized library instruction sessions to Education classes, most of which will be in-person, but may include online sessions. The Education Librarian provides in person and online individual research consultations with Education faculty and students. The position includes collection development duties: selecting education, instructional media, and juvenile collection materials, and overseeing the library’s state-adopted curriculum materials collection (LRDC). The Education Librarian serves on the Donoghue Children’s Literature Center Board, organizes the annual Donoghue Children’s Literature Lecture, and collaborates on other education and children’s literature-themed exhibits and events.
The Education Librarian also participates in general reference and instruction services (e.g. reference desk hours, both in-person and virtually, and general library instruction sessions), and creates and maintains research and resource guides, including LibGuides, on specific topics and for classes as needed. Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly/professional and service activities.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Education (or equivalent degree leading to a teaching credential) and/or significant experience in Education (applying learning theories and varied pedagogical approaches, knowledge of the scholarship of education, knowledge of California state-adopted curriculum materials, school leadership, etc.)
- Current experience in developing and teaching effective information literacy-based library instruction sessions
- Ability to interact effectively in a multicultural environment with co-workers, library users and the wider campus community
- Evidence of scholarly/professional activities (or interest/efforts toward such activities)
- Current experience in providing reference services and knowledge of academic databases
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to balance core librarian duties with scholarly, creative, and professional growth activities and library and university service activities
- Availability to work some weeknights and weekends
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Experience using current technologies to design and implement engaging learning activities
- Instructional experience in an academic context
Rank & Salary:
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian, tenure-track. Salary range is from $63,156.00-$79,524.00 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, optional 10/12 month work year; defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; spouse/domestic partner/dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php.
August 1, 2017
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9457BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required and preferred qualifications) addressed to Dr. Clement Guthro, Dean of the Pollak Library, California State University, Fullerton
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal Diversity Statement (less than 2 pages, single spaced, see prompt below)
- Three letters of reference (see instructions in the next paragraph)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into the recruitment system.
Personal Diversity Statement
California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to building a diverse community. Applications are sought from candidates who demonstrate that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our communities. Diversity refers to the variety of personal experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such differences include race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, geographic region, and more. A personal diversity statement should focus on your commitment to justice, equity and inclusiveness. This statement can take several different forms and may address:
- Your contribution to issues of diversity, educational equity and social justice
- Your experiences with a diverse range of students
- How you incorporate diversity into your teaching materials and methods or in your research
- How you have personally experienced diversity
- Your experiences and/or qualifications that enhance your ability to work with diverse groups
Review of applications will begin on Monday, April 17, 2017. Applications will be accepted until recommendations for an appointment is made.
For questions about the position, please call Trish Campbell at (657) 278-8254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
California State University, Fullerton is one of the largest of the 23 campuses that comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 55 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level) work in 54 programs, credential programs for teachers, a doctoral program in educational leadership (Ed.D) and in nursing practice (DNP). The University’s Web site: (http://www.fullerton.edu)
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.