The Art Department at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Illustration, with an appointment starting in Fall 2017. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The candidate will be qualified to teach BA, BFA, MA and MFA level courses in Illustration. This appointment is a teaching assignment consisting of three studio art classes each semester plus weekly office hours, attendance at faculty and area meetings, participation in other professional activities, and service to the department, college, university, and community. The successful candidate will contribute to a dynamic illustration program with a track record of growth and distinction derived from awards earned by its students, the successful art careers of its alumni, and the professional achievements of its faculty. Course assignments may include the teaching of traditional and digital illustration, perspective drawing, children's books, and other classical skills that support visual storytelling.
Faculty members are responsible for creative activity and/or scholarly research recognized by peer review, professional activity (currency in the field), advising and mentoring students, and service to the department, college, university, and community. Participation in outreach to area colleges, high schools, communities, and public and private entities is also required.
- An MFA degree from an accredited institution or foreign equivalency in appropriate area, or BFA with more than a decade of significant illustration experience with national recognition as an artist.
- Experience as a practicing illustrator with an established reputation and significant record of creative and/or scholarly achievement.
- Excellent representational drawing skills; experience in the design of human anatomy and structure, perspective, lighting, and color; evidence of observation-based and imagined art; innovative thinking; and professional-level experience with digital technology as an image-creator.
- Knowledge of the historical and contemporary artists and events that have shaped the field of illustration, and current knowledge of issues related to professional business practices.
- Demonstrated proficiency to lecture effectively and conduct studio demonstrations in methods and media, and develop and update teaching materials (digital or traditional).
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive working environment with a wide and culturally diverse range of colleagues, students, faculty, and staff.
- College or university level teaching experience.
- A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, tenure-track. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
The Art Department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design to offer the BA, BFA, MA, and MFA in Art. CSUF is located about 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles in metropolitan Orange County. The Art Department counts approximately 1,500 undergraduate art majors, 60 graduate students, 31 full-time faculty, and 60 part-time instructors. A full range of fine arts and professional programs is offered and a nationally recognized art gallery is located in the Visual Arts complex. Grand Central Art Center, a 45,000 sq. ft. graduate studio, residence, and exhibition facility is located 15 minutes from the main campus. For more information about the Art Department and the College of the Arts, please refer to the website: http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/art.
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9198BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter (relating your qualifications) addressed to Illustration Search Committee
- Curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
- Teaching philosophy (2-page limit)
- Artist’s statement
- Digital portfolio of 20 examples of creative/scholarly work
- Digital portfolio of 20 examples of student work
The finalists for this position will be contacted by the Search Committee and are required to submit:
- Three current and signed professional letters of recommendations to be uploaded by the recommenders thru the on-line recruitment system (see instructions below)
- Official academic transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- Additional material may be required of applicants whose applications are to be given further consideration
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application, which could be different from your list of three professional references. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts @ email@example.com, with the subject line “Illustration Search,” or call 657-278-3256.
Application review will begin immediately. To be assured of full consideration, please submit all materials by Tuesday, February 28, 2017. The position will remain open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.