The Computer Science Department at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) invites applicants for several full-time, tenure track positions as Assistant Professors of Computer Science with the appointments beginning in August 2017. The department seeks experts in all areas of Computer Science. California State University, Fullerton, values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
CSUF is located in Orange County 25 miles south of Downtown Los Angeles, 20 miles east of the Pacific Ocean. The city of Fullerton has a Mediterranean climate and a diverse population with many cultural attractions. CSUF has the largest student body out of the 23 campus California State University system. The Computer Science department offers a B.S. in computer science, an M.S. in computer science and an online M.S. in Software Engineering.
The successful candidates must demonstrate interest and ability to teach courses in computer science at lower-and upper-division levels. Teaching responsibilities will include undergraduate and graduate level lecture and laboratory courses and specialty courses in the candidate's area of expertise. Interdisciplinary research collaborations within the department and college are encouraged. Faculty members are expected to contribute to the diversity and relevance of our curriculum by revising and proposing new courses, and teaching a variety of courses.
The successful candidate is expected to maintain a rigorous, on-going commitment to
funded research involving undergraduate and Master’s students, which results in publications
in high-quality peer- reviewed conferences and journals and to have regular interaction
with the professional community. Student advisement and department, college and university
service are also part of the responsibility of tenure-track faculty.
- An earned Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field; ABD’s may apply but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the date of appointment.
- Dedication to teaching computer science or closely related courses, evidenced by experience serving as an instructor, teaching assistant, or in some other educational role within the last five years.
- Productivity as a researcher in computer science or a closely related field, evidenced by publications in reputable peer-reviewed venues within the last three years.
- Ability and willingness to promote undergraduate and graduate student success through research, mentorship, advising, co-curricular activities, and other high impact practices.
- Ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide, and culturally-diverse range of students and colleagues.
- High potential to develop and pursue an independent externally funded research program involving undergraduate and Master’s students.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continuation of employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
An ideal candidate is familiar with the mission of CSUF and the role the CSU plays in The California Master Plan for Higher Education.
Rank & Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor (tenure-track). Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with qualifications, experience and local cost of living. CSUF operates on a semester system that enables faculty to teach in January and/or during the summer for additional salary. Faculty may also apply for intramural grants to do research during those months. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9172BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Curriculum vitae listing your degrees, professional and teaching experience, and peer-reviewed publications
- A letter of application (suggested maximum: 500 words)
- Teaching philosophy (suggested maximum: 1,500 words)
- Research statement (suggested maximum: 1,500 words)
- A copy of a recent publication with a cover letter explaining your contribution
- An unofficial copy of your academic transcript from the university that has granted or will grant your Ph.D.
The finalists for the position will be contacted and required to submit original graduate
transcripts, and three current, confidential letters of recommendation.
For questions regarding the search, you can reach the department by phone at (657) 278-3700 or e-mail the department chair, Michael Shafae, at email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately. All applications received by November 28, 2016 will receive full consideration. The review of applications will continue until the positions are filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.