California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Division of Anthropology at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology with the appointment beginning in August 2017.
We seek applicants in the field of Cultural Anthropology with an emphasis on migration/immigration and diaspora populations, social media and mass media, urban anthropology, transnationalism, and/or gender and popular culture. The geographic area of specialization is open, but preference will be given to South Asia or Middle East/Near East, with a view to engaging students in local ethnographic fieldwork or internship projects in Southern California. Candidates must be excellent teachers with an active and theoretically motivated research program. The Cultural Anthropology Program is part of the Division of Anthropology, which offers both BA and MA degrees in Anthropology.
Faculty members teach and advise graduate and undergraduate students and serve on academic committees. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching and excellent research, including publication in peer-reviewed outlets relevant to anthropology, and participation in service to the broader academic community.
Candidates must have and present evidence of:
- A Ph.D. in Anthropology, completed by the time of appointment.
- Excellent teaching of Cultural Anthropology courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Ability to interact effectively with a large and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- Scholarship leading to publication and potential for external funding
- A commitment to developing a strong research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and professional service
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8954BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- . Examples of scholarly publications and presentations
- . Per AAA guidelines, please do not specify referents at this time; the finalists for this positions will be contacted and required to provide the names and contact information of three referents and their letters of recommendation.
Please direct questions to Dr. Barbra Erickson at email@example.com.
Application review begins immediately. To ensure full consideration, please submit all materials by December 1, 2016. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.