Cal State Fullerton Pollak Library seeks an exceptional candidate for the position of Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian, the Systems Librarian provides administration and programming support for the technical infrastructure of systems such as Millennium, the Unified Library Management System (Alma and Primo), the Digital Library, and other applications-based services offered by the CSU Library consortium and the CSUF Pollak Library. Serves as administrator for the Library’s open source servers and software. Develops, tests, and installs new software applications and enhances functionality of existing systems through customization and integration with commercial and open source software. Provides technical advice and hands-on support in integrating, troubleshooting, and resolving various issues with purchased or licensed software, including resolving authentication problems and ensuring smooth and reliable access. Implements tools and develops code to ensure that data and metadata are successfully migrated from legacy systems to new systems and from vendor systems to local systems; facilitates the transfer of metadata from in-house systems to consortium and/or cloud-based systems such as OCLC WorldCat and Alma. Coordinates with campus IT for all locally integrated technical solutions and hardware and with the CSU Chancellor’s Office staff for all system-wide library initiatives.
- Ensures performance and efficiency of the Library Management System, including maintaining staff permissions and patron authentication.
- Facilitates data migration from current ILS (Millennium) to ULMS (Alma).
- Oversees and supports both local and cloud-based servers.
- Maintains and administers EZProxy server, ensuring access to licensed resources is efficient and secure.
- Takes design specifications and writes code applying current standards and best practices. When working with metadata, applies appropriate standard in consultation with CSU Library Technical Services personnel.
- Ensures both internally and externally developed software is thoroughly tested before release. Compiles reports of test results and manages bug list.
- Trains library staff and students as required.
- Oversees the work of student programmers.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment.
- Sound knowledge of programming and documentation procedures, programming methods, program flow charts and operator instructions as demonstrated through work experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with APIs to develop applications for end-users.
- Demonstrated experience working competently and independently on complex programming activities including evidence of self-managing and prioritizing tasks and projects.
- Demonstrated capability to analyze a problem and provide the appropriate software to solve it.
- Demonstrated experience communicating effectively in person and through writing with both highly technical and non-technical personnel.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving-abilities, flexibility, and the ability to work on teams involving end-users and a variety of technical staff.
- Ability to research and evaluate the functionality of vendor software to meet user needs, assess vendor proposals, and serve as a technical/vendor liaison.
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems, such as Moodle.
- Experience with typical library applications including OpenURL (link resolvers), proxy servers, standards such as Z39.50, etc.
- Knowledge of web content management systems.
- Ability to interact effectively in a multi-cultural environment within and outside the Library.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Previous experience working in an academic information technology environment or library.
- Thorough understanding of and skills in using Visual Basic.NET, ASP.NET and PHP.
- Experience with relational databases such as SQL Server 2008/2012 and MySQL, the ability to formulate queries and manage the database.
- Experience administering Windows (2008/2012), Linux (Ubuntu/Red hat) servers and database server.
- Experience with authentication processes using Shibboleth and SAML.
- Demonstrated experience with building applications using existing database management systems and using SQL for data extraction and report generation from large databases.
- Experience using code repositories and bug tracking software.
- Familiarity with the principles of Responsive Web Design and Adaptive Web Design.
Rank & Salary
This is a contract position and will be at the rank of Assistant or Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary range will be $49,224-$58,968 and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, defined benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities, and access to campus child-care. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.asp
March 1, 2016
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration.To apply, please go to https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8468BR to begin the applications process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications) addressed to Dr. Scott Hewitt, PhD, Interim University Librarian
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into the recruitment system.
For questions about the position, please call: (657) 278-8254 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by February 1, 2016. Position will remain open until filled.
California State University, Fullerton is the largest of the 23 campuses that comprise the California State system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 55 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level) work in 54 programs, credential programs for teachers, and doctoral degrees in education (Ed.D) and nursing practice (DNP).
The Pollak Library serves a total of more than 38,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. The University is committed to the support of learning through instructional technology as well as extensive training and development programs. The University web site is located at http://www.fullerton.edu
The Library’s web site (http://www.library.fullerton.edu) serves as a gateway to library resources. The Library contains 1.3 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 50,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 200 electronic databases. The staff includes 22 FTE librarians and 35 FTE paraprofessionals.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.