The Department of Human Communication Studies in the College of Communication at California State University, Fullerton seeks qualified applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor in quantitative research methods beginning in August 2016.
The primary teaching specialization is undergraduate and graduate coursework in research methods, experimental design, and statistics. Preferred secondary areas are organizational, interpersonal, or persuasion/social influence. The faculty member is expected to advise students, supervise theses and projects, publish research, participate in faculty governance, and engage in service.
- Ph.D. in Communication Studies or a relevant field by August 2016 is required. ABD’s may apply but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the time of appointment.
- Excellence in teaching ability, including a minimum of three years college teaching experience.
- Record of scholarly accomplishment or strong potential for publishing peer-reviewed research.
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, administration and community.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Ability to engage students through the use of innovative teaching practices and teach students from diverse backgrounds as well as incorporate issues related to diversity into the curriculum.
- Strong potential to recruit new majors.
- Willingness to develop new curriculum.
- Consult with faculty and students on projects requiring expertise in experimental design.
- Track record of publishing in nationally recognized peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience in securing external grants.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. An excellent and comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health, vision and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waivers; access to the campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement plan provided through the state system, along with optional tax-shelter opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCareplans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8300BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- A letter of application
- A current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial graduate transcripts, writing sample, teaching portfolio (philosophy, student/peer ratings, syllabi)
- Three letters of recommendation (see the following instructions)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For further information, please contact Dr. Robert Gass, Search Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657-278-3269.
Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 13, 2015. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
California State University, Fullerton, is the second largest university in California serving southern California and especially Orange County. It is the largest of the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses. The CSU system is the largest and most diverse university system in the country and one of the most affordable. CSUF is the only four year public Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) in Orange County and an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. It ranks fourth and eighth nationally in the number of baccalaureate degrees awarded to Hispanics and minority students, respectively. CSUF is a student-centered teaching institution located in the heart of beautiful Orange County, California, near beaches, mountains, and the vibrant culture of Los Angeles. The average temperature is 70 degrees and the sun shines over 300 days a year. For more information about the University, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.