Journalism & Digital Media
The Department of Communications has multiple tenure-track openings for faculty members with expertise in journalism and specific skills in one or more cross-platform digital media specialty areas. Successful candidate(s) must teach, engage in research and/ or service, participate in assessment of student learning, and provide academic advisement to students in a nationally recognized ACEJMC-accredited program.
We seek applicants with professional experience in journalism and demonstrated ability to work in multiple media formats. A terminal degree (Ph.D. or MFA) and extensive background in journalism is required.
Teaching assignments will be in one or more of the following areas: Reporting, media writing, news photography, editorial design, broadcast journalism, TV news production, video field production, web production, cross-platform journalism and social media. Other duties may include working with faculty, staff and students to coordinate student media and advising of student organizations. Teaching assignments may include courses online, evenings, and at the Irvine campus.
- A Ph.D., MFA, or equivalent terminal degree in communications or a relevant discipline by time of appointment.
- Professional experience in journalism.
- Ability to teach basic writing, reporting, and interviewing.
- Ability to teach in one or more digital media specialty areas such as broadcast journalism, multimedia reporting, TV news production, video field production, web production, and social media.
- Ability to interact effectively orally and in writing with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- A research and/or creative agenda in cross-platform journalism and social media development.
- More than three years of professional experience in cross-platform journalism.
- Ability to expand our curriculum, especially in one or more of the following areas: Spanish-language journalism, sports journalism, journalism innovations and entrepreneurship, web/data journalism, or broadcast journalism.
Rank & Salary
These are tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate to rank, experience and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans, spousal and/or dependent fee-waiver, access to campus child-care, defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, see http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be received in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 7958BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
1. letter of application
2. resume or curriculum vita
3. three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-8607 or e-mail email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.