Online Learning Librarian
The Pollak Library at California State University Fullerton, a nationally recognized Hispanic serving institution (HSI), invites applications for a tenure-track Online Learning Librarian to join our dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their work, research and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
We serve a total of more than 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. Our website (http://www.library.fullerton.edu) is a vital component of the Library’s extensive instruction program and serves as a gateway to resources: including 1.3 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 50,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 200 electronic databases. The staff includes around 23 FTE librarians, 35 FTE paraprofessionals, and 80 student assistants.
As a member of Reference and Instruction, the Online Learning Librarian takes the leadership role in developing and assessing the library's online information literacy initiatives that promote student-centered learning, critical and creative thinking as well as uses technologies and software tools such as learning management systems, content tools and presentation tools. The OL Librarian will implement and administer tools, features, and programs that enhance and improve library instruction in the online environment. The OL librarian will represent the Library in online teaching with technology initiatives across campus. This position—newly created in response to Pollak Library’s recent re-organization, self-assessment, and strategic plan—will have the opportunity to be creative and innovative in building a library for the 21st century.
Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly and professional activities.
- Work in close collaboration with librarians and discipline faculty to create online and in-person instructional programs and materials
- Coordinate projects such as using Alma features with SUSHI harvesting, Alma Analytics and platform usage reports
- Take a lead role in defining and assessing student learning outcomes for online instruction
- Provide reference services and instruction in the use of library resources as well as assisting with software and hardware
- Take an active role with the developments in the online learning community, trends in the management and provision of library information resources and other related issues
- Serve on department, library, and university committees
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, implement and adapt to evolving technologies
- Ability to read and synthesize technical documentation and explore solutions collaboratively and independently
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Effectiveness in balancing multiple assignments and projects
- Demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively and work effectively with cross-organizational teams
- Ability to interact effectively in a multicultural environment with co-workers, library users, discipline faculty, and the wider campus community
- Evidence of interest in professional and scholarly activities
- Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning and accessibility principles in design of online instruction
- Extensive experience with new and emerging technologies in instruction, instructional design, and online information literacy
- Experience working with students in an online capacity
- Experience with project management and problem-solving
- Experience supervising or training in the use of new technologies
- Experience working in a consortial environment
Rank & Salary
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary range will be from $67,656 to $72,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, optional 10/12 month work year; defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; as well as access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
June 1, 2019
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 11102BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letters of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications)
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of commitment to working with diverse students, faculty, colleagues, and community.
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Katie Steben at email@example.com or call 657-278-4067.
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by April 5, 2019. Position will remain open until filled.
California State University, Fullerton is the largest of 23 campuses, which comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 57 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level) work in 52 programs, credential programs for teachers, and doctoral degrees in education (Ed.D.) and nursing practice (DNP). The University’s Web site is located at: http://www.fullerton.edu.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.