Director of Opera Music
The School of Music in the College of the Arts at California State University, Fullerton is seeking a full-time, tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of Opera beginning in the Fall 2019. The school strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research/creative activities, and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
For over fifty years, the School of Music has been training students for professions in the music field. CSUF, located about 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles in metropolitan Orange County, has a legacy of alumni actively engaged within music professions throughout Southern California, the United States, and internationally. Fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music since 1966, the School of Music is a comprehensive unit in the College of the Arts and offers undergraduate and master’s degrees in performance of western classical music, jazz, and commercial music; as well as music education, conducting, composition, music theory, piano pedagogy, and music history. The School of Music serves approximately 400 undergraduate and graduate students, with 21 full-time and 50+ lecturer faculty. For more information about the school, please visit http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/music/.
The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are to teach undergraduate and graduate-level courses in song and opera literature, diction (utilizing the International Phonetic Alphabet), and additional music courses in accordance with individual areas of expertise and departmental needs. Other responsibilities include supervising, directing and musical coaching and preparation for the school’s opera productions in addition to program outreach, recruitment, fundraising, production budget administration. The position also requires working closely with applied voice and music education faculty and staff to promote positive, sustained relationships with regional high school and community college vocal music programs and work collaboratively with area coordinators of the Vocal, Orchestral, Jazz, and Keyboard programs. This position will be expected to participate in advising students; engaging in active peer-reviewed creative/scholarly activities; participation in department, college, university, and system-wide service; maintaining office hours; and working collaboratively and productively with colleagues in all departments within the College of the Arts. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching; a record of creative/scholarly activity in the discipline; strong leadership contributions to school, college and university committees and to external professional organizations that serve the broader disciplinary community.
- Terminal degree (MFA, DMA, PhD) by the time of appointment, or significant professional experience.
- Evidence of a broad and thorough knowledge of operatic repertoire appropriate to both developing and pre-professional artists, as well as a sustained and distinguished professional career as the leader of a successful university opera program and/or professional opera company.
- Evidence of prior academic experience in the systematic teaching of song and opera literature classes, foreign language diction classes (utilizing the International Phonetics Alphabet), as well as other related vocal or stage-centric classes.
- Evidence of strong leadership, communication, organizational, and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work and interact effectively with a with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, faculty, and staff
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
This is a full time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10878BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter relating to your experience to the required qualifications
- Current Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate study
- List of three professional references (names, telephone numbers, email addresses)
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- A statement about your teaching experiences, success, and challenges as well as your commitment to working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community
- Video recordings of opera production performances and rehearsals. For each of these performances, applicant should indicate the aspects they supervised and/or performed (e.g. stage director, musical coach, diction coach, producer, conductor, etc.). Please provide Youtube links or access links to online storage (e.g. Dropbox, Google Docs.); do not send actual video files.
Please Note: During the application review process the search committee may request additional documentation of previous academic and professional work. Do not send additional materials until requested to do so. The finalists for the position will be contacted and are required to submit three current letters of recommendation (see instructions below).
For Finalist Only: On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three references who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Opera Director Search” or call 657-278-3256.
Application review will begin immediately. Applications received by January 7, 2019 are assured full consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Multiple positions maybe hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.