Graphic and Interactive Design
The Department of Visual Arts in the College of the Arts at California State University, Fullerton is seeking a full-time, tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of Graphic and Interactive Design beginning in the Fall 2019. The department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research/creative activities, and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department of Visual Arts serves approximately 1,600 undergraduate art majors and 60 graduate students, with 34 full-time and 70+ lecturer faculty. The department offers a BA in Art and BFA in Art with 13 areas of concentration, in addition to an MA and MFA in Art with 9 areas of concentration. CSUF is located about 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles in metropolitan Orange County and offers a full range of fine arts and professional programs including a nationally recognized art gallery located in the Visual Arts complex and the Grand Central Art Center, a 45,000 sq. ft. graduate studio/residence/exhibition facility located 15 minutes from campus. The Department of Visual Arts at California State University, Fullerton, is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. For more information about the Department of Visual Arts and the College of the Arts, please refer to the website http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/art/ .
The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in graphic and interactive design concentration. Courses will explore principles in relationship to traditional and emerging digital media and range from graphic design foundations, package design, interactive media, UX design, UI design and motion graphics. Responsibilities include: advising students; mentoring of graduate students and thesis; engaging in active peer-reviewed creative/scholarly activities; participation in department, college, university, and system-wide service; maintaining office hours; and working collaboratively and productively with colleagues. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching; a record of creative/scholarly activity in the discipline; strong leadership contributions to Department and University committees and to external professional organizations that serve the broader disciplinary community.
- MFA degree from an accredited institution with an emphasis in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Communication Design, or equivalent degree.
- Evidence of excellent technical skills (within the most current Macintosh operating system) to instruct students in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud as well as an advanced understanding of web publishing and scripting, user experience design, user interface design, and integrated 3D design in relationship to graphic design.
- University-level teaching experience in courses specifically relevant to the position with a strong commitment to teaching and a willingness to take an active role in advancing the curriculum within the Graphic and Interactive Design discipline.
- Evidence of experience as a practicing graphic designer.
- An understanding of contemporary theoretical and historical concepts in art and design, and the ability to encourage critical thinking and problem solving.
- A demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, faculty, and staff
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available, includes health/vision/dental plans, spousal, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver, access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings, defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10868BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter relating to your experience to the required qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.
- Teaching Philosophy Statement.
- A statement about your teaching experiences, successes, and challenges as well as your commitment to working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community.
- Digital portfolio of 20 images of current (from the past 5-years) creative/scholarly work that demonstrates the candidate’s expertise as a practicing graphic designer with an understanding of contemporary and historical concepts in art and design.
- Digital portfolio of 20 examples of student work that reflects a breadth of print and screen-based design, demonstrating the candidate’s ability to teach technical and conceptual approaches within graphic and interactive design, critical thinking and problem solving. Student examples should demonstrate how their work is related to course assignments.
- Sample syllabi or assignments to support students’ work.
The finalists for this position will be contacted by the Search Committee to submit:
- Three current and signed professional letters of recommendations to be uploaded by the recommenders thru the on-line recruitment system (see instructions below).
- Official academic transcripts from all higher education institutions attended.
- Additional material may be required of applicants.
For finalists only: On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three references that will provide a confidential letter of reference for you. This can be different from your list of three professional references. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Graphic and Interactive Design” or call 657-278-3256.
Review of applications will begin immediately. All applications received by January 17, 2019, are assured full consideration. Position will remain open until filled. Multiple positions maybe hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.