The Department of Kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) invites applications for a tenure-track position (Assistant/Associate Professor) in Pedagogy/Teacher Education (10-month academic year appointment). We are seeking candidates who will be working in an established physical education teacher education program in Southern California that serves a culturally diverse student body within the Teacher Education Program and the University at large. The successful candidate should maintain a firm commitment to valuing multicultural perspectives in working with students as well as faculty colleagues, university administrators and staff. The faculty member would join an experienced faculty and campus that highly values collegiality and collaboration.
- Teach pedagogy and teacher education classes for the undergraduate Teacher Education concentration, the Subject Matter Preparation Program-Physical Education (SMPP-PE), the Single-Subject Credential Program, and graduate pedagogy track, with possible teaching assignments in related areas.
- Conduct and publish research/scholarly activities in area(s) of expertise.
- Advise students in academic degree pursuits and career development plans.
- Direct graduate students with theses/projects/comprehensive exams.
- Provide professional service to the department, college, and university.
- Work in conjunction with the Teacher Education Program faculty in the maintenance
and advancement of the accredited program.
- Supervise and coordinate teacher candidate placements in the public schools. (A teaching credential or license is required in the state of California to supervise teacher candidates and coordinate a teacher education program).
- Establish/maintain affiliations with master teachers in local school districts and develop new student teaching sites.
- Work closely with local/state educational/political agencies in public school physical education advocacy.
- Tenure and promotion decisions require positive reviews on performance in teaching,
scholarship, and service to the department, college, university, and external community.
- Doctorate in physical education, kinesiology, exercise science, or related area (ABD considered; doctorate required by appointment date).
- Teaching credential or license/certificate in physical education.
- Record of a clearly defined research line.
- Experience in addressing or implementing matters related to diversity in an education environment or community.
- Record of developing/obtaining grants and external funding, commensurate with stage in the career.
- University-level teaching experience in Teacher Education or related courses, commensurate with stage in the career.
- Record of professional leadership in state or national professional organizations, commensurate with stage in the career.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure-track, full-time position (10-month academic year) at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer teaching, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health, vision, and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and /or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10730BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest relating your experiences to the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- A brief narrative (2 pages maximum) presenting your research interests/agenda, professional goals, teaching philosophy, and perspective on the future direction of teacher education in California.
- Diversity Statement
This statement should provide an understanding of your capabilities to address diversity in support of CSUF’s underrepresented and community populations. Please discuss how you have addressed diversity in your teaching, research, and/or service and your commitment to teaching and working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community.
- Three examples of scholarly work.
- Most recent student evaluations of teaching effectiveness (summaries or aggregate form); if evaluations are not available, include other evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Three letters of recommendation* (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into the recruitment system.
* Recommendations should minimally address the following areas:
- potential to work in/with a diverse campus community
- history of quality campus/community interpersonal interactions
- potential to obtain internal/external grants and collaborate in scholarship
Please direct questions to Dr. Debra Patterson, Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
To receive full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 5, 2018. The position will remain open until filled.
The Department of Kinesiology (~1700 majors), within the College of Health and Human Development, offers an undergraduate major leading to a B.S. in Kinesiology and a graduate program leading to an M.S. in Kinesiology. Both degrees have several focus areas related to multiple career objectives and sub-disciplines within the health and human movement field. The Department houses modern research/teaching facilities including Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Motor Behavior, and Human Performance Laboratories, among others. Opportunities for collaboration are available through various research centers, including the Center for Sport Performance, Center for Successful Aging, Center for the Promotion of Healthy Lifestyles and Obesity Prevention, the Lifespan Wellness Center, and the Health Promotion Research Institute. Visit the Department (http://hhd.fullerton.edu/knes/), College of Health & Human Development (http://hhd.fullerton.edu), and University (http://www.fullerton.edu) websites for additional information about our offerings and faculty.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a CSU position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.