Co-Director of Forensics
The Department of Human Communication Studies at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor who will serve as the Co-Director of Forensics in a large nationally and regionally competitive program. We strongly encourage applicants who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and service, their abilities to contributing to furthering CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity.
- Coaching intercollegiate debate, specifically policy debate (NDT-CEDA), at the regional and national level;
- Teaching the curriculum in forensics and other areas including but not limited to persuasion and social influence, argumentation studies and quantitative research methods.
- Attending regional and national forensics tournaments throughout the forensics season;
- Co-hosting 2 middle school/high school speech and debate tournaments and 1 college intercollegiate debate tournament, including tab room administration;
- Working with lecturer and graduate students assigned to the forensics program;
- Collaborating with, supporting, and recruiting from local high leagues, such as the Los Angeles Metropolitan Debate League.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses;
- Engaging in scholarly activities including the presentation of conference papers and the publication of peer-reviewed journal articles;
- Advising undergraduate and graduate students; and
- Participating in faculty governance, including service on Department and University committees;
- Engaging in activities that benefit the university, the profession, and the community.
- Doctorate in Communication Studies or closely related degree program; ABD’s considered but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the date of appointment.
- Applicants should provide evidence of their teaching performance, ability to direct a national-scale, policy-oriented forensics program, and their ability to coach policy (NDT – CEDA) debate competitively on the national circuit level and support or assist with the individual events squad.
- Must have the ability to interact successfully within a multicultural environment, and work harmoniously with students, colleagues, and the community.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Moving expenses and start-up funds may be available. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. An excellent and comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health, vision and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waivers; access to the campus child-care, based on availability of openings; and a defined-benefit retirement plan provided through the state system, along with optional tax-shelter opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCareplans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10722BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- A letter of application
- A current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial graduate transcripts, writing sample, teaching portfolio (student/peer ratings, syllabi)
- A statement of teaching philosophy that discusses your commitment to teaching and working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- Three letters of recommendation (see the following instructions)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For further information, please contact Dr. Erika Thomas, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com or call 657-278-3617.
Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by December 3, 2018. Position is open until filled. Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
California State University, Fullerton, is the second largest university in California serving southern California and especially Orange County. It is the largest of the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses. The CSU system is the largest and most diverse university system in the country and one of the most affordable. CSUF is the only four year public Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) in Orange County and an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. It ranks fourth and eighth nationally in the number of baccalaureate degrees awarded to Hispanics and minority students, respectively. CSUF is a student-centered teaching institution located in the heart of beautiful Orange County, California, near beaches, mountains, and the vibrant culture of Los Angeles. The average temperature is 70 degrees and the sun shines over 300 days a year. For more information about University, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.