CHEMICAL EDUCATION RESEARCH
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, California State University, Fullerton
(http://chemistry.fullerton.edu) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position preferably at the Assistant
Professor level in CHEMICAL EDUCATION RESEARCH with the appointment beginning in Fall
2019. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We
strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their
teaching, research and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence
of our communities.
Applicants with research interests in any area of chemical education research are welcome to apply; applicants whose interests are in inorganic and organic chemical education research are particularly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will establish a research program involving students and participate in the activities of the CATALYST Center for the Advancement of Research in Teaching and Learning in Science and Mathematics Education and/or other appropriate campus Centers. Interdisciplinary research collaborations within the department, college or university are encouraged.
Applicants must have:
- a doctorate in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemical Education at the time of application. Postdoctoral research or equivalent experience is preferred;
- the ability to teach both lecture and laboratory courses using student-centered, active learning and inquiry-based approaches at the undergraduate and master’s levels.
- a demonstrated potential for effective lecture and laboratory teaching in Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and/or General Chemistry;
- a strong record of productivity in chemical education research;
- a demonstrated potential for developing and sustaining an independent externally funded research program involving undergraduate and master’s level students leading to peer-reviewed publications;
- a demonstrated commitment to educating, and the ability to communicate effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus population.
Rank and Salary
The position will be filled preferably at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary and startup are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available, which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse or domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings; and a defined benefit retirement through the State system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, consult http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
August 18, 2019
A complete on-line application must be received in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10699BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- a cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications outlined above
- a detailed curriculum vitae
- a statement of teaching philosophy and experience that addresses teaching and working with diverse populations (3-page limit)
- a statement of chemical education research plans and goals, including research experience and projects specifically designed to engage undergraduate and Master’s students, with description of strategies to obtain funding, including anticipated equipment needs (4-page limit)
- copies of relevant peer-reviewed publications (limit of 3)
- three signed letters of reference on official letterhead stationary (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-3621 or e-mail email@example.com
Review of applications will begin January 5, 2019, and will continue until a suitable candidate is appointed.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.