The Division of Politics, Administration, and Justice at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Political Theory with appointment to begin Fall 2019. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Division of Politics, Administration, and Justice at California State University, Fullerton is seeking candidates who will teach our undergraduate introductory political theory course (classics through modern), and seminars at the masters level on both classics and modern political philosophy, as well as elective courses in political theory. We are particularly interested in candidates whose research agendas include democratic theory and critical theory, including race and feminist theory. Division faculty members are expected to develop courses in their areas of specialization. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the Division, advise students, serve on academic committees, and participate in the broader disciplinary community.
- Ph.D. in political theory or a related field. ABDs may apply but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date.
- A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of the appointment.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students including a large number of first-generation college students
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver, access to campus childcare based on availability of openings, and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities.. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10688BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- reprints and preprints of publications and presentations
- teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- a student success statement about your teaching experiences, as well as your commitment to teaching and working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Shelly Arsneault at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657-278-2456.
Applications received by November 1, 2018 will be given full consideration. Expect on-campus interviews early in spring semester. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.