The Department of Communications at California State University, Fullerton is seeking an Assistant or Associate Professor in public relations with expertise in campaigns management and social media strategy. We strongly encourage applicants who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and service, their abilities to contributing to furthering CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity.
The Department of Communications is one of the largest and most diverse mass communications programs in the United States, situated in the second largest media market in the country. More than 2,200 students are enrolled in four concentrations (advertising, entertainment/tourism, journalism, and public relations) with 75+ full- and part-time faculty members. The Department operates international programs, a graduate program, numerous laboratory facilities, an internship center, award-winning student media, a student advertising and public relations agency, a week-long signature university event called COMM Week, and many other student organizations, clubs and competitions. For more information about the Department, please visit: http://communications.fullerton.edu/.
The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are: teaching, research, scholarship, and/or creative activity, service to the department, college, university, profession, and community. Teaching assignments may include courses conducted online, in the evenings, and at the Irvine campus. These responsibilities generally include: advising students in a nationally recognize ACEJMC and CEPR accredited program, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in communications or a relevant discipline by time of appointment.
- Minimum two years of professional experience in public relations or a closely related field, including experience in an agency, corporate, in-house, nonprofit, or similar capacity.
- Ability to successfully teach the public relations capstone course and public relations writing, in addition to other areas.
- Ability to contribute in the areas of curriculum development, accreditation self-study, and assessment of student learning.
- Ability to interact effectively orally and in writing with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- Evidence of successful teaching.
- A well-articulated research and/or creative agenda in public relations.
- Membership and involvement in PRSA and/or APR accreditation.
- Contact with industry leaders and ability to expand university-industry partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-impact programs emphasizing student mentoring and professional engagement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure-track position, at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, depending on the candidate's qualifications. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer and intersession, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans, spousal and/or dependent fee-waiver, access to campus child-care, defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10540BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application
- resume or curriculum vita
- a statement of teaching philosophy that discusses your commitment to teaching and working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-3353 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin on September 24, 2018, and continue until the positions are filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.