The Department of Psychology at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Multicultural Psychology with appointment to begin Fall 2019. The Department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
We are seeking applicants for an Assistant Professor position in Multicultural Psychology. Candidates are expected to teach courses in psychology that may include, but are not limited to: Multicultural Psychology, Social Psychology, and other courses within their area of expertise. Candidates must show potential for developing and implementing courses that address multicultural issues in psychology. Additionally, candidates must conduct research that incorporates issues relevant to diverse groups and demonstrate the ability to mentor and support both undergraduate and graduate students from diverse backgrounds. Preference will be given to candidates whose research addresses concerns of Latinx, Asian American, African American, Arab/Middle Eastern American, indigenous, multiracial, or other marginalized populations. Those with research interests relating to multicultural topics such as acculturation, identity, stereotype threat, racial microaggressions, intersectionality, health disparities, etc. are invited to apply. Ideally, the successful candidate will provide a critical lens, interdisciplinary perspective, and/or mixed-methods approach to their research. This position is for a psychologist with a strong emphasis in both teaching and research.
Candidates must have and evidence of:
- Possess a Ph.D. in Psychology (Social, Community, etc.) or other related field; ABD’s may apply but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date.
- Demonstrated experience and interest in topics related to marginalized populations.
- Excellent teaching at the college level.Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students.
- Scholarship leading to publication and potential for external funding.
- A commitment to developing a strong research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and professional service.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10505BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- reprints and preprints of publications and presentations
- teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- a statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges as well as your commitment to teaching or working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Linda Pabón at email@example.com or call 657-278-3589.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by September 28, 2018 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.