The Department of Child and Adolescent Studies at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2019. The Department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The area of developmental specialty is open, but preference will be given to scholars who will expand departmental expertise and contribute to the department’s mission to prepare undergraduate students broadly for careers working with children, adolescents, and/or families from diverse backgrounds. The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are: teaching at the undergraduate level; research, scholarship, and/or creative activity; service to the university, college, department, profession, and community. These responsibilities generally include: participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching, peer-reviewed publication in an area of expertise, and substantial service to the department, college, university, and external community.
The appointee must have:
- an earned doctorate in Developmental Psychology or a closely related field prior to appointment;
- a strong background in developmental theory and research;
- a commitment to providing high-quality undergraduate education and demonstrated ability to teach students with diverse backgrounds at the undergraduate level;
- a research agenda focused on issues related to child development;
- an interest in preparing undergraduates to work effectively with children, adolescents and families from diverse backgrounds; and
- the ability to work collegially in a multicultural environment.
The Department is particularly interested in candidates with expertise pertaining to one or more of the following areas among children in early or middle-childhood:
- studying development and learning in elementary school settings;
- supporting optimal development and learning in an applied setting;
- understanding cultural processes and influences in development and learning.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Intramural research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available, which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For specific details go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10496BR to begin the application process and provide following materials:
- a letter of intent addressing Required and Preferred (if applicable) Qualifications listed above, including a summary of teaching experience and a brief overview of the scope of and plans for research agenda;
- a curriculum vita;
- a diversity statement that is no more than 500 words that provides an understanding of your capabilities to address diversity in support of CSUF’s diverse student and community populations. Please discuss how you have addressed diversity in your teaching, research, and service;
- a table listing teaching experience with a column for each of the following: (a) the title and number of each course taught, (b) the semester and year you taught the course, (c) the name of the institution where you taught the course, (d) the approximate number of students enrolled in the course, (e) your role in the course (e.g., instructor of record, teaching assistant, etc.), (f) the course format [e.g., traditional, hybrid, online], and (g) the level of the course (e.g., undergraduate or graduate);
- student evaluations of teaching and other evidence of teaching effectiveness;
- graduate transcripts;
- representative samples of scholarship;
- three letters of reference (see instructions below).
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct questions to: Dr. Janna Kim, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com
Application review begins immediately. To receive full consideration, please submit all materials by September 17, 2018. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.