Teacher Education / K-8 Curriculum & Instruction
with a Specialization in Mathematics Education
The Department of Elementary and Bilingual Education is a dynamic department with a knowledgeable and supportive faculty, responsive to the diverse communities we serve and committed to the improvement of schools in collaboration with district partners. Located on the border of Los Angeles and Orange Counties, California State University Fullerton’s credential and master's programs have achieved regional and national recognition for excellence and are nationally accredited.
California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our communities.
The focus of this position is teacher education and curriculum and instruction with a specialization in mathematics education. Responsibilities include teaching in elementary (K-8) credential and master’s level programs. All coursework focuses on the preparation and development of teachers for linguistically and culturally diverse students. Field supervision in multicultural urban environments is a standard component of the position, with the expectation of a strong commitment to field-based involvement. Some instruction at off-campus sites and in online and hybrid environments is expected. Student advisement, scholarly research and publishing, and university service are also important components of the position and essential for retention, tenure and promotion.
- Earned doctorate in education or a related field from an accredited institution by the appointment date.
- Expertise in K-8 mathematics education.
- Commitment to educational equity and social justice.
- Experience and commitment to working effectively with culturally and/or linguistically diverse populations.
- Demonstrated potential for scholarly and creative activity.
- Demonstrated potential for effective integration of technology into instruction.
- Demonstrated potential for teaching in face-to-face, hybrid, and online environments.
- K-8 teaching of multiple subjects with a minimum of three years of classroom experience, preferably in public school settings.
- Ability to interact and work effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, staff, and colleagues.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and professional and university service.
- Deep understanding of Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and NCTM standards for the teaching of mathematics.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate to experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health, vision, and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and /or dependent fee-waiver; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. Access to campus child care, based on availability of openings. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10493BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- teaching philosophy statement (1-2 single-spaced pages)
- diversity statement (1-2 single-spaced pages; see Diversity Statement Prompt below)
- graduate school transcript(s)
- three letters of reference (see instructions below)
Additional optional materials
- teaching evaluations and other evidence of teaching excellence including copies of student evaluations with interpretive information
- additional evidence of high quality teaching
- description of research agenda or copies of recent scholarly publications
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into the recruitment system.
Diversity Statement Prompt
Diversity is a defining feature of California's past, present, and future. Increasing the diversity of our educators to better reflect the population of California is just one aspect of the College of Education's dedication to just, equitable and inclusive education. For information http://ed.fullerton.edu/edel/aboutus/jeie.php. Diversity refers to the variety of personal experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such differences include race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, geographic region, and more.
The diversity statement should focus on your commitment to just, equitable and inclusive education. This statement, 1-2 single-spaced pages, can take several different forms and may address:
- your contribution to issues of diversity.
- your experiences with a diverse range of students.
- how you incorporate diversity into your teaching materials and methods or in your research.
- how you have personally experienced diversity.
- your experiences and/or qualifications that enhance your ability to work with diverse groups.
Please direct questions to Dr. Michelle Brye, Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org or 657-278-4305.
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.