Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for two full-time tenure-track positions at Assistant Professor level with appointment starting in August 2019. We seek outstanding candidates to complement and strengthen the existing a) structural and b) geotechnical engineering focus areas of the department. The Department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity. We strongly encourage applicants who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and service, their abilities to contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
California State University, Fullerton is located in Orange County, about an hour drive from downtown Los Angeles. The Orange County, in southern California is known for its pristine beaches and legendary theme parks. The University is located in an urban area with a diverse population with many cultural attractions. The department offers an ABET-accredited B.S. in Civil Engineering, an M.S. in Civil Engineering, and an online M.S. in Environmental Engineering. It serves nearly 1000 students and currently has 15 full-time faculty members. California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community. For more information about the department, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/cee
The successful candidates must demonstrate their interest and ability to teach courses in Civil Engineering. Teaching assignments are based upon the needs of the department and may include lower division courses, upper division courses, as well as graduate level a) structural and b) geotechnical engineering courses. Faculty members are expected to contribute to the diversity and currency of the curriculum by updating existing courses, proposing new courses in their area of specialization, and teaching a variety of courses. In addition, faculty members regularly advise students, serve on academic committees, and contribute to Department and University governance. Faculty members are expected to be team players willing to contribute to the mission of the Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and the University. The successful candidates are expected to conduct research involving undergraduate and graduate students, resulting in high quality peer-reviewed publications. Multidisciplinary research collaborations within the department, college, and university are particularly encouraged. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching, strong scholarly and creative activities, and substantial service to the department, college, university, and professional community.
- Doctoral degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field; candidates nearing completion of their doctoral degree may apply; however, candidates must have their degrees completed prior to the appointment date
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field
- Professional registration as a Civil Engineer or ability and willingness to get Professional Engineering (PE) licensure within five years of appointment
- Effective written and oral communication skills in English
- Passion and ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses as well as laboratory courses in Civil Engineering
- Focused research agenda and evidence of high quality peer reviewed publications within the last three years
- Ability and willingness to promote undergraduate and graduate student success through research, mentorship, advising, co‐curricular activities, and other high impact practices
- High potential to develop and pursue an independent externally funded research program involving undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and community
- University-level teaching experience in Civil Engineering
- Demonstrated potential to pursue externally funded research
- Post-baccalaureate professional work experience in Civil Engineering
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continuation of employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent and comprehensive benefits package is available and includes health, vision, and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent fee waivers; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement plan provided through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a summary description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application must be submitted to receive consideration. To apply, go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10477BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application
- Current curriculum vita
- A statement of teaching philosophy and interests including a list of courses you are willing to teach, and courses you would like to develop (2 pages maximum)
- A statement about your experiences, successes, and challenges as well as your commitment to working with a diverse student population, faculty, and community (one page, single-spaced)
- A statement of research philosophy, interests and plan (2 pages maximum)
- Undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts (unofficial copies accepted until appointment)
- Names and contact information for three references
The finalists for the position will be contacted and are required to submit original transcripts and three current confidential letters of recommendation (see instruction below).
On the Reference page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three references that will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSU, Fullerton by logging back in to the recruitment system. However, letters of recommendation are not required for the initial review.
For questions regarding the search, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Pratanu Ghosh at email@example.com or 657-278-3012.
Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 1, 2018. Position is open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.