The Department of Mechanical Engineering at California State University (CSU), Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mechanical Engineering with appointment starting in August 2019. Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool. We seek candidates with expertise in all fields of mechanical engineering, but are especially interested in the areas of manufacturing, design, biomedical, and energy. Demonstrated engineering design experience is desirable. The Department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
CSU, Fullerton is an urban university located in Orange County, California, surrounded by high technology industries and a diverse community. The department's instructional programs lead to Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. For more information about the department, please call 657-278-3014 or visit our website at http://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/me
The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are: teaching all levels of mechanical engineering courses for majors and non-majors; research, scholarship, and/or creative activity; service to the University, College, Department, profession, and community. These responsibilities generally include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching, on-going commitment to research, refereed publications, and substantial service to the University and the profession.
- Earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering or related field; ABD’s may apply but must earn a doctorate in one of the sub disciplines of Mechanical Engineering before the appointment date; B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, including laboratory courses.
- Ability and willingness to promote undergraduate and graduate student success through advising, co-curricular activities, and other high impact practices.
- Focused research agenda with external funding potential; publications in refereed venues within the last three years.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continuation of employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank, Salary, and Benefits
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor (tenure-track). Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. CSUF operates on a semester system. Faculty may apply for intramural grants to do research during the summer months. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement program through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10472BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application summarizing relevant qualifications
- Current curriculum vita
- A statement of teaching interests addressing courses you have taught and future courses you would like to teach and develop (one page, single-spaced)
- A statement about your teaching experiences, successes, and challenges as well as your commitment to working with a diverse student population, faculty, and communities (one page, single-spaced)
- A statement of research interests (one page, single-spaced)
- A list of names and contact information for three references
The finalists for the position will be contacted and are required to submit original graduate transcripts, copies of student evaluations from any past teaching experience, and three letters of recommendation (see instruction below) before on-campus interviews.
On the Reference page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three references that will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSU, Fullerton by logging back in to the recruitment system. However, letters of recommendation are not required for the initial review.
For questions regarding the search, please call: (657) 278-3014 or email the Search
Chair at email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately. All applications received by November 1, 2018 will receive full consideration. The review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.