The Department of Philosophy at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in epistemology with appointment to begin Fall 2019. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
We seek applicants with primary teaching and research specialization in epistemology; candidates with active research agendas in social, virtue, and/or empirically-driven epistemology are particularly encouraged to apply. Responsibilities include teaching a wide range of courses in all areas of philosophy, at the upper- and lower-division levels, introductory, and general education courses. Candidates must be capable of and invested in teaching introductory formal logic. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require consistently excellent teaching; high-quality peer-reviewed publications; research and other relevant scholarly activities; student advising; and service to the department, college, and university.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy by August 2019 is required. To be considered, ABD applicants must show evidence that degree completion will occur before August 2019.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching undergraduates from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds, including first-generation students, and adoption of appropriate pedagogical strategies for diverse student populations.
- Active research agenda with clear potential for high-quality peer-reviewed publication and scholarly production.
- Experience or demonstrated potential in working collegially with colleagues and community.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Ability and willingness to teach the upper division undergraduate philosophy courses in the following specializations: epistemology and symbolic logic.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10453BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter responding to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, syllabi, peer and student teaching evaluations, and other evidence of teaching excellence
- Documentation of research agenda, including a research statement and one or more writing samples
- A student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges
- A diversity statement demonstrating commitment to working with a diverse student population, faculty, and communities
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (upload PDF copies)
- Three confidential letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. John Davis, Search Committee
Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by November 1, 2018 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.