Spanish Peninsular Contemporary Literary and Cultural Studies
California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Spanish Peninsular Contemporary Literary and Cultural Studies. The position begins in August 2019.
The primary professional responsibilities of this instructional faculty member are: teaching all levels of Spanish, but primarily upper-division and graduate-level courses in Spanish Peninsular literature and culture; research, scholarship, and/or creative activity; service to the University, College, Department, profession, and community. These responsibilities generally include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish
- Ph.D. in Spanish or a related field by the start of the appointment. Advanced ABDs considered. If ABD, please have your dissertation committee chair provide a letter indicating your progress to date and detailing a timeline to completion
- Specialization in Contemporary Peninsular Literary and Cultural Studies
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college or university level and demonstrated potential for research
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students
Additional background in areas such as translation, interpretation, Hispanic media, digital humanities, or other related fields is highly desirable.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate to experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Additional teaching in summer and intersession, moving expenses may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete online application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10451BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (uploaded PDF copies)
- Research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- Two-three writing samples (e.g., PDF copies of published or forthcoming articles or book chapters, or dissertation chapters; Spanish and/or English)
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, sample course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- A student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges
- A diversity statement demonstrating commitment to working with diverse student populations, faculty, and communities
- Three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct questions to André Zampaulo, DSC Chair, email@example.com.
Completed applications received by October 1, 2018, will be assured of receiving full consideration.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.